- On the day before the colonoscopy, you may eat a light breakfast, but after breakfast, you must consume only clear liquids* as noted below for the entire day.
- During the day before the colonoscopy, add the flavor packets and mix the NuLytely or Golytely Prep solution with warm water as instructed. This should then be refrigerated after mixing.
- At approximately 6pm, start the NuLytely or Golytely Bowel prep. You should drink one glass (8oz) of the solution every 10 minutes until the stool is clear. The first bowel movement typically begins within an hour after drinking the liquid. You must drink at least 3 liters of the fluid, even if the stool is already clear, but it may take the entire 4 liters of prep. It typically takes about 3-4 hours to consume the entire amount of solution.
- After the prep solution has been consumed, you are encouraged to drink additional clear liquids as desired until midnight.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to the procedure, except for a sip of water with morning medications if instructed.
*CLEAR LIQUIDS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Clear Broth or Bouillon, no noodles or solids
- Water, tea, black coffee (no creamer or milk, but a sweetener is okay)
- Carbonated soft drinks (Sprite, Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.)
- Popsicles (no red colors)
- Apple juice or other clear juices without pulp (no orange juice)
- Jell-O (no red colors)
- Gatorade or other sports drinks
- Hard candies (Life Savers, lemon drops, Jolly Ranchers)
No milk, creamy soups, or alcohol should be consumed.