- Obtain two 5mg Dulcolax tablets and the PEG 3350 Solution from the pharmacy as prescribed.
- On the day before the colonoscopy, you must consume only clear liquids* as noted below for the entire day. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight, except for a sip of water with medications on the morning of the procedure if instructed.
- Mix Solution: add lukewarm water to the line as printed on the container. Cap the container and shake to dissolve the powder. Refrigerate the solution. This must be consumed within 48 hours. (Note: if you did not receive a container, alternatively, you may mix one capful of powder to every 8oz of water that is consumed as noted below.)
- At 1pm, take the two Dulcolax tablets. Do not chew or crush the tablets. Do not take the tablets within 1 hour of taking an antacid. The tablets may cause a bowel movement but will not likely cause diarrhea.
- At 5pm (no later than 6pm) start drinking the solution. Drink an 8oz glass of solution every 10 to 15 minutes until 8 glasses have been consumed. This should use half of the solution. The first bowel movement typically begins within an hour after drinking the liquid.
- At 9pm, drink at least 2-3 more glasses of the prep solution to ensure that your stool is clear.
- After the prep solution has been consumed, you may drink additional clear liquids as desired until midnight. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to the procedure, except for a sip of water with morning medications if instructed.
*CLEAR LIQUIDS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Clear Broth or Bouillon, no noodles or solids
- Water, tea, black coffee (no creamer or milk, but a sweetener is okay)
- Carbonated soft drinks (Sprite, Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.)
- Popsicles (no red colors)
- Apple juice or other clear juices without pulp (no orange juice)
- Jell-O (no red colors)
- Gatorade or other sports drinks
- Hard candies (Life Savers, lemon drops, Jolly Ranchers)
No milk, creamy soups, or alcohol should be consumed.