Athens-Limestone Hospital Outpatient Surgery (One Day Admissions)
Report to the 3rd floor ODA Registration Desk if your surgery is at ALH Hospital. *
(*Note: Temporary Covid-19 Restrictions may require entry at the Sanders Street Entrance.)
Report to the 1st Floor Registration Desk if your surgery is at the ALH Tower on Hwy 72.
For questions regarding your arrival time or pre-admission consultation, call (256) 262-2132 (ALH) or (256) 262-6181 (Tower).
Checklist before surgery:
- The hospital pre-op admissions nurse will call to inform you of the time you will need to be at the hospital or ALH Tower on the morning of the procedure or surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the evening prior to your procedure, unless you have been instructed to take certain medications with a sip of water on the morning of the procedure. The pre-op admissions nurse will discuss which medications you may take on the morning of the procedure. It is extremely important that your stomach be empty at the time of surgery. You should not chew gum, dip or chew tobacco, or smoke on the morning of the surgery. Your surgery may be canceled or postponed if you violate these rules.
- Bring all medications with you, in the original prescription bottles.
- Be sure to take the appropriate bowel prep and / or enemas prior to arrival, if previously instructed.
- Bathe or shower with Hibiclens the night before and the morning of surgery as instructed, if an incision is expected.
- Please leave jewelry and valuables at home. You may not wear jewelry in the operating room. For children, a small toy or stuffed animal may be brought.
- If your physician has discussed the possibility of staying overnight, you may bring a gown, robe, safe walking shoes, small personal items or electronics, and toiletry items.
- If you wear contacts, glasses, or dentures, you should bring any special containers required for storage. You cannot wear these into the operating room, but you may need glasses or contacts to read and sign consent forms.
- Do not wear makeup or nail polish.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. You will change into a hospital-provided gown upon arrival.
- You must have a responsible person to drive you home after surgery.
- Only one family member will be allowed in the Pre-op area.
- To prevent commitment conflicts, we recommend that you plan to be at the hospital all day, though you may be able to be discharged sooner, depending on your procedure and your recovery.