I. Obtain the following in advance:
Please read through the entire instructions below. You will need to obtain the following items from your pharmacy or grocery store in advance of the procedure:
- One 8.3oz (238g) bottle of Miralax. A generic brand will be fine, as long as it is 8.3oz.
- Four Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) laxative tablets. You will need the 5mg tablets, not suppositories.
- 64oz of a sports drink (such as Gatorade, G2, Propel), Crystal Light, or water. Do not obtain a red colored liquid. This liquid will be used for mixing with Miralax the day before the procedure.
- Clear liquids* as noted below that you will need to consume for your meals and general hydration.
- Optional: moist baby wipes or a similar product for cleansing while taking the prep.
II. One day before the procedure:
- Drink only clear liquids* for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of liquid throughout the day.
- At noon, take two Dulcolax tablets, and drink at least 8oz of liquid.
- At 4pm, mix the entire bottle of Miralax (8oz, 238g) into a pitcher with the 64oz of your sports drink (Gatorade, G2, Propel), or with 64oz of Crystal Light or water. Make sure the powder is well dissolved, and then drink an 8oz glass of the Miralax Prep Solution every 10-15 minutes until the entire prep solution has been consumed. Try to consume this entire solution within 3 hours.
- At 8pm, take the last two Dulcolax tablets with 8oz of clear liquid.
- Continue to drink as much clear liquids as possible until bedtime, but do not drink or eat any liquids or food after midnight, except a sip of water which may be taken with morning meds if previously discussed.
*CLEAR LIQUIDS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Clear Broth or Bouillon (Beef, chicken, vegetable)
- Water, tea, black coffee (no creamer or milk, but a sweetener is okay)
- Carbonated soft drinks (Sprite, Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.)
- Popsicles (no red colors)
- Apple juice or other clear juices without pulp (no orange juice)
- Jell-O (no red colors)
- Gatorade or other sports drinks
- Hard candies (Life Savers, lemon drops, Jolly Ranchers)
No milk, creamy soups, or alcohol should be consumed.